Multicultural director comes home full circle
The May issue of CNews features Yashica Island and the journey she made from northeast Portland, to return home to Concordia University as Diversity and Intercultural Engagement director.
Karen Wells, who wrote Yashica’s story, recommends the resources below to learn more about Yashica, the college Multicultural Center, race issues in higher education and in Oregon, and bias in healthcare.
- Email Concordia Univeristy Multicultural Services
- PacificU.edu – Yashica Island Brings Energy, Experience to Pacific
- OregonLive – Pacific University’s re-started Black Student Union aims to create a more welcoming campus for black students (video)
- CU-Portland.edu – Concordia University’s history
- Oregon Voices – Nursing and Race in Oregon (pdf)
- OregonEncyclopedia.org – Blacks in Oregon
- NPR – Can Health Care Be Cured Of Racial Bias?
- TheAtlantic.com – The Racist History of Portland, the Whitest City in America