Managing Editor / Team Leader
Compensation: $500/per CNEWS issue (monthly, except January, currently)
The Managing Editor has the responsibility for the overall production and quality of the newspaper/web site; leads, coordinates and manages CNEWS staff and volunteers, and meets the newspaper print deadlines required for residential CNEWS delivery no later than the first day of the CNEWS issue month.
The Managing Editor operates with the goal of increasing neighborhood engagement and connectedness by directing and tracking the telling of the stories of all members of the community and creating a welcoming environment for everyone in the Concordia neighborhood.
The Managing Editor will create a structure for media production that seeks efficiency, transparency and involvement by volunteers, and will insure the work is done if a volunteer or paid CNEWS staff person is not able to complete an assigned task.
Skills Required: Leadership skills, excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and ideally professional editing experience. The job requires work schedule flexibility that allows communication during regular business hours. Minimum qualifications are excellent organizational, writing, communication and interpersonal skills; management/leadership experience in a professional environment, competency in Adobe In Design, Adobe Photo Shop, MS Word and MS Excel or similar Google products. The Managing Editor will plan and attend CNA Media Team meetings and CNA Board meetings.
- Outreach to association, community and business owners for news and features of interest/concern.
- Cultivate new writers, reporters and photographers.
- Create incentives for volunteer writers and others. (name, volunteer bios, appreciation events)
- Hold Media Team Meetings monthly to develop and coordinate articles line-up and to debrief the previous month’s edition.
- Research and anticipate stories with long term editorial calendar.
- Communicate regularly with Media Team and other writers, reporters and columnists to insure committed articles are submitted by deadline.
- Constantly update, add to or improve the paper with additional pages, articles ideas or sections that reflect the community interests.
- Maintain Editorial Calendar in Google Sheets, including column inches and article page assignment/communicate same to DESIGNER.
- Coordinate the release of newspaper articles to web.
- Work with team to release breaking news/information to website in a timely manner.
- Develop newspaper articles or web only copy with more interactive elements or greater length.
- Develop more web/social media capabilities and the web team.
Interested candidates who meet the skills and qualifications outlined for this position should email their resume and any supporting documentation to: east1@concordiaPDX.org. There is no close-date; the position will be open until filled.