January 11, 2022 | Position open until filled
The Editor will communicate with established and new writers to cultivate a culture of positive and effective communication and quality contributions; work with the Media Team Lead to develop story ideas and to constantly improve the Concordia News (CNews) depth and breadth. The Editor will meet assigned editing deadlines to ensure all CNews copy is available to the Graphic Designer as expected, and in the format required for Graphic Designer efficiency. The Editor will attend regular CNA Media Team meetings and CNA Board meetings.
Compensation: The Editor will be paid at the flat rate of $600 per month for 12 pages ($400/month for 8 pages) for the ongoing services outlined here. Compensation will be due to the contractor only for those months when CNews is produced (generally 11 times per year with no January issue).
Skills Required: Writing and editing skills and experience; excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Competency in MS Word and/or Google Docs is required. The work requires some availability during regular business hours, mostly to respond to time-sensitive issues.
- In coordination with Media Team Lead, maintain Editorial Calendar and communicate regularly with Media Team and other writers, reporters and columnists to ensure committed stories are submitted by deadline.
- Check CNews Editor email daily for stories, press releases, inquiries. Respond as appropriate.
- Meet with contributors (e.g. writers and photographers) as needed.
- Download relevant stories, press releases and graphics and save to the appropriate shared CNews folder.
Editing & Writing
- Edit all stories and news releases according to editorial standards established by the Media Team.
- Write headlines, captions, identify pull quotes and call outs and provide any other required editorial content for layout.
- Occasionally, write short news items, such as for upcoming CNA events or write a feature story when a writer is not available.
- Save all copy and images to appropriate shared CNews folders.
Layout & Proofing
- Work with Graphic Designer as required for resolution of story fit and placement issues.
- Review draft layout with Media Team Lead and Graphic Designer.
- Work with Graphic Designer to make proofing changes.
- Review all requested changes as a result of proofing.
- Provide Graphic Designer with a list of approved final changes for inclusion in the layout.
How to apply
Please provide the following to Peter Keller, Chair@ConcordiaPDX.org:
- your resumé,
- writing samples,
- your editorial experience,
- and briefly describe your connection with the Concordia neighborhood, if applicable.