By Karen Wells | CNA Media Team
Thanksgiving season is here, and many people are making plans for the traditional meal and/or family gatherings which warm the heart and feed the spirit.
Sept. 2, however, the communities and neighbors of the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area experienced the devastation caused by the Eagle Creek Fire. Many families were evacuated to keep out of harm’s way. Neighbors helped neighbors as the fire raged, ever advancing on their communities, homes and schools.
In the spirit of Thanksgiving and neighbors helping miles-away neighbors, below is a short list – doubtless incomplete, but representative of the relief efforts and local agencies that are helping – that would put your donations to good use this Thanksgiving.
- American Red Cross: 1.800.REDCROSS
- Cascade Locks Elementary School: HoodRiver.K12.or.us/Domain/712, Amy Moreland @ 541.3748467, 300 Wa Na Pa, CascadeLocks, OR 97014
- Cascade Locks/EmergencyMedical Services
- Cascade Locks Strong – online purchases of merchandise and gift cards from businesses affected by the fire
- FISH Food Bank (Friendly Instant Sympathetic Help) Hood River, Cascade Locks and surrounding communities
- Go Fund Me – several Cascade Locks and surrounding communities
- Harvest Christian Church Red Cross Evacuation Shelter: P.O. Box 745, Troutdale, OR 97060, 503.492.9800
- Hood River County Sheriff’s Office: 541.387.6911
- National Forest Foundation Eagle Creek Fire Restoration
- The Next Door social services organization: 965 Tucker Rd, Hood River, OR 97031, 541.386-6665,